Registration is now open for the 9th Annual Portneuf Valley Bike to Work Month Challenge!11-Apr-2014 Bike to Work Month and the Employee Challenge is an effort to get more community members to try different ways of getting to work while encouraging active lifestyle choices. The challenge goes throughout the month of May. Everyone who registers by April 21st will receive a Bike to Work t-shirt and those who complete the challenge will be entered into a prize drawing to win some cool prizes -- the grand prize is a new bike!
This year Portneuf Valley Bike to Work has teamed up with the Portneuf Health Care Foundation Chamber Wellness Energizer Challenge to create a Company Challenge. The Company Challenge will be open to all companies within the Pocatello/Chubbuck metropolitan area. The winner of this challenge will be rewarded and given media recognition. We understand that for some people walking or biking to work is not an option (distance, childcare responsibilities, etc.) so this year we have included an "other" category in the tracking system that will allow you to still be part of the Company Challenge. The average commute to and from work (on bike or foot) is roughly 20 minutes. We've decided that20 minutes just makes sense for our point system as well, so 20 minutes of "other exercise" (swimming, mountain biking, jogging, weight lifting, hiking, rock climbing, aerobics, crocodile wrestling, etc.) will equal 1 point. For example, a 60 minute mountain bike ride will amass 3 total points.
* Registration is now open and will continue through May 13th.
* All materials will be available online only -- please contact us if you prefer to have printed promotional items.
* The employee and company challenges officially begin on Thursday, May 1st.
* The employee and company challenges officially end on Saturday, May 31st.
* The drawing for prizes will be on June 6th.
Employee Challenge Rules:
* Participants must Bike to Work more than 60% of the time to meet the challenge.
* Biking to Work includes: bicycling, walking, carpooling or taking public transit.
* Participants must log in and record the mode of transportation each day of the month.
* Errands on a non-work day -- while highly encouraged -- do not count toward the 60% goal.
Company Challenge Rules:
* The Company Challenge is open to all companies within the Pocatello/Chubbuck metropolitan area.
* An eligible commute trip is biking, walking, carpooling or taking public transit from home to your work site.
* The "other" category activity is any kind of physical activity like walking, swimming and/or weight lifting, etc.
The Company Challenge winner will be determined by a points system.
One point will be awarded for each eligible trip to work and one point will be awarded for any additional 20 minutes of eligible activities.
The winner of the Company Challenge will be the company which receives the highest average points. For example a company with 10 participants who score a combined 200 points during the month would have a 20 point average.
Visit the website at http://www.portneufbiketowork.org/ to sign up and for more information.
Need a bike? Or maybe some help bringing your bike back to life?
Please visit one of our local bike shops for their expertise. Mention Bike to Work month -- they are looking forward to seeing you and will be happy to help!
Barrie's Ski and Sports -- 624 Yellowstone Ave, Pocatello -- (208)232-8996
East Fork Bikes -- 346 N Main St, Pocatello, ID 83204 -- (208) 220-3419
Element Outfitters -- 222 S 5th Ave, Pocatello -- (208) 232-8722